December 25, 2010

candlestick letter

my mom found this Christmas card tonight that my late grandpa Charlie sent to
her back in 1984.
she then said "If my dad was alive today he'd be 104 years old!!"
i told her that was really cool.

he passed away when i was 3 years old.
i have only one foggy memory of him.
it was summertime & and i believe we were in the kitchen.
he was getting a bandage for me out of the cabinet.
i felt safe.
the smell of wintergreen always reminds me of him.
i found out later in life that he chewed Wintergreen Copenhagen tobacco.
so that's probably why.


parts of his letter:

"Ida said you mentioned sending tapes on the New Testament, please don't do it, tapes make me sleepy. I can do my own reading...save your money."

"I get so mad sometimes reading the Bible, of how stupid some of the people was in Christ time and it seems they haven't changed much since, our Savior had a hard time when he was here, for sure. Seems like they are always trying to kill him."

and at the end he says "kiss the gals for me!
that would've been me and my sister.
(little johnny was following close behind tho)
he sometimes signed his name "Chaz" & i used to say i wanted to name my 1st son that.
i'm sleepy...Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment